Start with one second grade class and one moderately experienced teacher,
- Unforeseen circumstances
- Shifting of staff members
- The original 2nd grade class with an additional second grade class.
Continue as Follows:
- Sprinkle liberally with sadness, a multitude of changes, and a little attitude.
- Mix vigorously.
- Let marinate for several months, making sure to stir daily to keep lumps from forming.
- Adjust seasoning as needed.
- Wish frequently that the whole thing could just be done and over with.
- Check obsessively to make sure it hasn’t spoiled.
- On the last day of school, look around — those eyes, big and bright. Those mouths that haven’t rested from talking once in four months. Those stories that pile up, one on top of another until you wonder desperately if ANYONE else can listen to them just once. And all that learning that sparkles around the corners.
- Sigh deeply, and realize: This is it. And you are sad.
- Walk around your silent classroom and notice that for once, no one is talking.
- Cry a little.
Now you are in love. And you won’t forget it.
Dedicated to the 2012-2013 2nd grade class.
Having been through a lot together, I know we won’t forget each other.